People comment on how relaxing they are and that they seem to reduce inflammation as well. To use castor oil packs for gallbladder problems, regular applications give better results. Three consecutive days on and four days off for 2-3 months is traditional. You can do them more frequently but do take off a minimum of 1 to 2 days per week. To make castor oil packs, you will need:
- Cold-pressed castor oil.
- Wool flannel
- Heating pad (Do not use heat with an infected gallbladder)
- Plastic wrap or a large plastic bag OR a castor oil pack holder explicitly made for the job
- Two old towels
- Old clothing such as pajamas or sweatsuits
- Baking soda
Much of the above is for protection from the castor, which is sticky, messy, and can cause stains. I keep an old set of clothing on hand that I use just for castor oil packs. You will find the first two ingredients at a health food store. Choose an organic, cold-pressed castor oil, as well as a pure undyed wool flannel. Cotton flannel will do if that’s what you have. You may also wish to purchase an all-in-one castor oil kit or a holder to keep your castor oil pack in place. All of these are available on Amazon.
Directions For Castor Oil Packs
- Prepare your bed or couch by placing an old towel where you will lie. If you will use an electric heating pad vs a hot water bottle, you will need to situate yourself near an electrical outlet.
- Saturate the wool flannel in castor oil. It may be warmed first if you like.
- Place the flannel over your liver and gallbladder area. Do not be skimpy on the area covered. It is better to cover more than less.
- Place a piece of plastic over this sticky flannel.
- Put an old cloth or towel over the plastic.
- Place the heating pad over top of the towel and keep it as warm as is comfortable for you. NOTE: IF YOU HAVE INFLAMMATION, DO NOT USE HEAT. You can warm the pack to start so that it is not cold on the skin, but do not use a heating pad.
- Keep it all on for an hour or more and try to do it at the same time each day – but even if the timing is a bit different, do the pack each day anyway. Do this for 3 days on and 4 days off minimum. Repeat for one to three months.
- Wash the area thoroughly with baking soda and water.